Endesa disconnecting Builder’s Supplies in our area!

I’m currently dealing with a growing number of calls from people who have recently had electricity meters removed, despite there being no history of bill payment problems. After investigatation I discover that Endesa (and possibly other electricity providers in Spain), are cutting off ‘Builder’s Supplies’, removing the electricity meter and leaving the property without electricity! The reason given is that the provisional ‘Luz de Obras’ supply (commonly known as ‘Builder’s Supply’ or ‘Work’s Supply’), has been connected for a longer time period than originally contracted, and therefore suspended!

A ‘Builder’s Supply’ (‘Suministro Provisional de Obras’) is normally granted for no more than 2 years. Assuming the building work is to construct a house, then on successful completion of building works a ‘First Occupation Licence’ (‘Licencia Primera Ocupación’) will be granted by the Town Hall. With this document and many others, the owner/purchaser/developer can then apply for a domestic electricity contract (‘Suministro de Vivienda’). If after two years, the construction is not complete an extension to the building licence can be requested from the Town Hall and presented to Endesa to extend the Builder’s Supply contract.

To find out if you are at risk of disconnection please read on!

From my recent conversations with consumers recently cut-off, there appear to be many reasons why new-build or reformed properties are still connected with provisional ‘Builder’s Supplies’ many years after completion of works, here are a few examples from recent investigations:

Legal problems/delays during property aquision
Utility contracts not transferred to current owner
Problems with ‘legality status’ of property with Town Hall and/or Land Registry
Projects completed without all necessary paperwork, i.e. Boletines & Licencia Primera Ocupación
Developer/Promoter ceased trading prior to project completion/handover
Change in land classification since building works commenced

One easy check to put your mind at rest. Look at your last electricity bill, under the section ‘Datos del Cliente’, top-right hand corner on bills from Endesa Energía XXI S.L. The CNAE (‘Clasificación Nacional de Actividades Económicas), or Activity Code for a ‘vivienda’ (house) is 9820.

If this is shown on your bill, then you have the correct contract for your home, and are not at risk of being disconnected. But be warned, keep paying your bills, as Endesa will cut-off your supply after two consequetive months of non-payment. In some cases a major supply upgrade may be required simply in order to obtain a new Boletín before you can recontract with your electricity provider!

There are many other CNAE codes, for commercial uses, retail outlets, irrigation, well pumps etc., click the CNAE codes link to see the entire list, it is in Spanish, or click here CNAE Finder to check your specific code.

If you are concerned that you risk being disconnected, or have any queries regarding your electricity contract you can email me a copy of your electricity bill and for a small charge, I will investigate with Endesa on your behalf. I will need a signed authorisation form in order to make enquiries on your behalf, together with a copy of your NIE or passport, but I can do all this via email (email address at top of page).

5 June 2011